Welcome to NARUC Fall 2023 Rate School
Registration is sold-out!
The waitlist is full!
Course Overview (In-person only)
Program Knowledge Level: The program is classified as basic and recommended to new personnel working in the regulatory policy community.
Rate School is an affordable, comprehensive, course offering students the fundamentals of utility rate making by working on a “mock” utility rate case.
At the end of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Understand the basics of utility rate setting.
- Understand Financial Statements for regulated utility companies.
- Have the knowledge, skills, and tools that guide regulated utility rate making including choosing the test year for the revenue requirement.
- Gain an understanding of how rate base is developed.
- Understand how a mock rate case is developed and the use of sample adjustments.
- Calculate the rate base, revenue requirement, and learn rate design for a regulated utility.
- Demonstrate an appropriate knowledge of operating expenses, trackers, depreciation and taxes related to regulated utility rate making.
- Understand how to review and make adjustments to utility Income Statements.
- Understand the capital structure of a utility, including the weighted average cost of capital, rate of return, and return on equity.
- Understand how cost of capital, rate of return and return on equity relate to the revenue requirement and how Wall Street views a company.
- Understand the consumer perspective on the regulated utility finance.
- Understand Cost Allocation methods.
- Understand the different rate designs for the regulated utility.
- Learn the Performance Based Ratemaking.
Who Should Attend Rate School?
State Commissioners, Policymakers, Municipal Utility Officials, Commission staffers,
Administrative Law Judges, Accountants, Auditors, Financial Analysts, Consumer Advocates, Attorneys,
Engineers, Economists, Journalists, Wall Street Analysts or anyone with a need or interest in utility rate making will benefit from this unique program.
The course material for the Spring and Fall Rate Schools are the same.
Still have questions and don't see the answer on this website?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org